If you own a stucco building, there may be a time when you need to repaint it or remodel it to keep it from getting dirty or looking off. That has happened to many people, and all of them have come to the question: Should I use fog coating or paint the stucco? Both options have their perks and disadvantages, so you need to decide wisely. But, before we dive into choosing which one is better, we have to know a little bit more about them.
What is the fog coating process?
The fog coating process consists of using Portland cement, lime, and a color that matches your wall to cover it. Fog coating is a popular process that is both affordable and durable, but it doesn’t work on all types of stucco. However, it’s a good option if you are looking to save as much money and time as you can.
Painting the stucco is the other option, which offers fascinating benefits that are worth looking at. Choosing this option provides you two primary advantages; the first one is that you can paint on every surface you want to, so it’s not limited by the type of stucco you used before. The other one is that you have any color you feel like using available.
Differences Between Fog Coating and Painting Stucco
It’s normal to confuse fog coating and painting stucco since they are both used in the same situations, and not everyone is actively reading about roofing and siding processes. We want you to choose the option that best meets your needs, so here are some of the main differences between fog coating and painting stucco:
- You can only apply it to cement-based stucco.
- It’s made of Portland cement, lime, and color powder.
- It comes in powder, so you have to water it down to use it.
- It can last decades.
- You can paint on every surface you want to if you use the right type and brand of paint.
- Paint materials can vary regarding the brand or type you purchase. However, it’s usually composed of resins, pigments, and solvents.
- It usually comes in liquid form.
- It can last several years if well maintained, but it often requires a repaint after a decade.
As you can see, they share some characteristics and are different in many others, but you must know how to distinguish and recognize them. Regardless of that, you can ask a stucco contractor to tell you which one is better for your building and choose with that information in mind.
Pros and Cons of Fog Coating and Painting Stucco
Now that you know the differences between them, it’s time to analyze their pros and cons. Like any product, both fog coating and painting stucco have their advantages and disadvantages. They don’t have any extreme drawback that makes them useless or dangerous to you or your building, so don’t worry about them jeopardizing your home.
- It provides additional protection to your building since it adds more layers to the previous stucco ones.
- It lasts decades if you install it correctly.
- It’s significantly affordable compared to other processes.
- You can’t apply it to any synthetic surface, so it only works well on traditional stucco.
- It requires more expertise and experience than painting would need to be installed or repaired.
- It offers a fair variety of colors for you to choose from, but not as many as painting.
- You can use any color you want.
- It’s easier to install and repaint than fog coating.
- Unlike fog coating, you can paint on synthetic surfaces such as the one used in EIFS stucco.
- Paint is easier to find than the materials required to apply fog coating.
- Paint is more expensive than fog coating.
- Paint can last several years, but not as many as fog coating can.
Which One Is Better?
It’s difficult to say which one is objectively better since they both work in different ways, but we can tell you which one is better regarding your situation and priorities. That way, you don’t end up choosing one when you should have chosen the other.
If your main goal is to improve the aesthetics, then the best option for you is to choose to paint the stucco. The paint can be more expensive than fog coating, but in exchange, you can use any color you want, making you able to modify your wall design as much as you like. Regardless of that, if your building has EIFS stucco, you must use paint.
Fog coating works excellent if you are more interested in protecting your home without spending a lot of money on it. That is the best option for traditional stucco and saves you a lot of time from worrying about the need to repaint it or repair it.
We Offer You Both of Them!
Regardless of which one you choose, here at Smart Roofing NYC, we offer to do the entire job for you. Our team of experts is ready to advise you on which one you should choose since they want what’s best for you. Call us to paint your stucco or to apply your fog coating!