Stucco is an excellent option for anyone looking for an exterior finish. It is incredibly versatile and also durable, meaning that it is able to withstand harsh weather conditions. Its application procedure is very similar to that of plaster; however, plaster is used for interior finishes, and stucco is specifically designed to be used on the exterior of a property. There are two different types of stucco, namely, the traditional three-coat stucco and the more modern one-coat stucco. Both are incredibly effective and are suitable for use in different situations. One coat stucco is used more often due to it being more cost-effective and efficient to apply.
It is a popular siding choice for both residential and commercial properties. The use of stucco provides a building with an insulated and durable covering that can be totally customized to the desires of the property owner. One coat stucco makes use of paper, wire, and foam backing that is covered by two exterior coats of stucco. The top layer of stucco is always needed for the finish, and because of this is not counted as a layer.
One Vs. traditional three-coat stucco
This modern stucco makes use of the foam backing in place of the scratch coat that is used in traditional three-coat stucco. This is then covered with cement that has been reinforced with fiberglass. The single coat is a blend of Portland cement, sand, fibers, and also water. Single coat stucco is applied on top of a rig Styrofoam board. This eliminates one of the cement layers that would generally be used in the traditional stucco application process. The use of the foam board reduces the costs as well as the time needed between applying layers of the stucco.
The topcoat of stucco is still added, and this coat can be customized entirely by incorporating different textures and colors into its design. This allows you to make your property totally unique. Now, this method has become preferred to the original three-coat process as it is more cost-effective and time-efficient while also sharing the same benefits.
Why stucco is the first choice of exterior finish?
Some of the benefits that you enjoy after the application of one coat stucco to your property are:
- Durability: The fiber-reinforced finish resists any cracking while also reinforcing the structural strength of the building.
- Design versatility: The ability to customize the texture and colors of the topcoat means that the design of the stucco can be uniquely yours.
- Fire resistance: Stucco has fire-resistant properties, meaning that your property is at a lower risk of catching fire.
- Insulation from the elements: New York is notorious for having some frigid winters. Stucco is an excellent solution to this problem and provides great insulation for any property.
- Effective performance in different climates: Stucco has the ability to be extremely durable in a variety of weather conditions and patterns, regardless of whether it is cold, hot, wet, or dry.
- Water-resistant: It has some water-resistant properties, meaning that it does a great job at sealing your property, preventing leaks in the process.
- Versatility: It can be used in many different types of buildings such as commercial, residential and industrial properties.
- Rich finish: Stucco has a much richer finish than that of siding or wood.
- Sound Proof: New York is a bustling city, meaning that there is consistent noise pollution. Stucco is exceptionally useful at soundproofing a property, giving you some much-needed peace and quiet.
These properties are all part of the reason why stucco is the first choice of exterior finish by most property owners. It makes for a great finish that adds great aesthetic value to the property as well as all the other benefits.
Another benefit that is often associated with one coat stucco is the fact that it requires very little maintenance. This means that the overall cost of keeping it in good shape over its life cycle is very low. It is important to note that the one coat variant of stucco is thinner than the three-coat variant. This means that the traditional stucco is slightly more durable. For this reason, it is crucial that you consult with a professional stucco contractor before you make the choice on which variant to apply to your property.
Whether you are in need of stucco on a new building, over existing siding, or need some repair work done, we can assist you in determining the best option for your needs. We can help you in understanding the best option for you within your budget.
Why Choose Smart Roofing NYC?
By choosing us as your stucco contractors, you are choosing a licensed and insured contractor to complete the job for you. This means that you are getting the best quality work done. Contact us today so that we can provide you with a free estimate as well as an inspection that is free of any obligations.